Kshirsagar, Shrirang Baburao. (2006). Evaluation of Teacher by Students. Unpublished. Ph.D., Education. University of Pune.
Objectives of the Study:
1. To study the opinion of the teachers about Students’ Evaluation of Teacher(SET).
2. To study the opinion of the students about SET.
3. To find out the percentage of the teachers willing to accept students’ evaluation of teacher.
4. To find the reasons behind teachers’ resistance towards SET.
5. To study merits and limitations of SET.
6. To develop a Scale for ‘Students’ Evaluation of The Teaching of a Teacher’.
7. To study validity and reliability of the scale developed for ‘ Students’ Evaluation of the Teaching of a Teacher.
Hypotheses of the study:
1. Majority of the Teachers show their consent for SET.
2. Majority of the teachers are of the opinion that B.Ed. students are able to evaluate their teachers.
3. Majority of the teachers are of the opinion that they should be ranked on the basis of SET.
4. Majority of the teachers are of the opinion that introduction of SET would be vexatious.
5. Majority of the teachers are of the opinion that SET would be useful in getting feedback to the teachers themselves and the college administration.
6. Majority of the teachers are afraid of the SET.
7.Majority of the Students show their consent for SET.
8. Majority of the Students are of the opinion that B.Ed. students are able to evaluate their teachers.
9. Majority of the Students are of the opinion that teachers should be ranked on the basis of SET.
10. Majority of the Students are of the opinion that introduction of SET would be vexatious to Teachers.
11. Majority of the Students are of the opinion that SET would be useful in providing feedback to the teachers and the college administration.
12. There are no significant differences in the mean percent marks of teachers in three evaluations done by students.
13. The correlation coefficient between marks of teachers in the three evaluations are significant.
14. The Evaluation of the Teaching Scale developed by the Researcher is a valid tool for Students’ Evaluation of Teaching of a Teacher.
15. The Evaluation of the Teaching Scale is a reliable measure of Students’ Evaluation of Teaching Performance of a Teacher in terms of the selected dimensions of the Scale.
Sample for the Study:
The samples of 94 teachers out of a total of 167 teachers teaching in the 14 affiliated Colleges of Education of Pune University during 2002-03 was drawn employing cluster sampling. Similarly, a sample of 756 students was drawn from the population of 1680 students.
Apart from the above two samples four more samples were drawn as follows:
1. Sample of teachers and students for evaluation of teaching during 2002-03 in VPCOE by using initial format of the EVTG scale developed by the Researcher. For this purpose all the 16 teachers and 146 students of the VPCOE were chosen by incidental sampling method.
2. A purposive sample of 15 teachers and 20 students was selected for data collection through interviews.
3. A sample of 20 students was selected by incidental sampling from among the300 students of VPCOE for brain storming program on evaluation of teacher by students.
4. For studying validity and reliability of the Evaluation of Teaching Scale, 37students of the English medium division of the Tilak College of Education,Pune-30 were selected by purposive sampling.
Evaluation of Teaching( EVTG ) Scale have been employed by the investigator. R.C. Deva (RCD) Scale has been suitably selected for establishing validity and reliability of EVTG Scale.
The procedure of the study has been systematically divided into four steps, namely, the survey through questionnaire Q1 & Q2,Interviews, Brainstorming and Development and Administration of EVTG Scale.The statistical techniques namely, percentage, arithmetic mean, Karl Pearson’s Product Moment Correlation, t-test, Z-test and Normality test have been appropriately employed.
Findings of the Study:
1.Majority of the teachers have shown their consent and willingness for Students’ Evaluation of Teacher (SET).
2. Teachers and Students are of the opinion that B.Ed. Teachers must be evaluated by B.Ed. Students.
3.Teachers and Students are of the opinion that B.Ed. Students are able to evaluate their Teachers.
4. Teachers and Students are of the opinion that teachers should be rated and ranked through SET.
5.Students and Teachers expressed that SET would develop in Teachers an Attitude towards quality teaching.
6. Teachers have recommended SET only once, while, Students are of the
view that SET should be two times in an academic year.
7. According to Students and Teachers SET would motivate the Teachers. It would also be useful to the Teachers and the College Administration to provide feedback for improvement in the system.
8. Teachers and Students both have the expression that the exercise of SET would be vexatious to the teachers.
9. Majority of the teachers are not afraid of being evaluated by students.
10. The greatest advantage of SET ,according to 85.1% teachers and 90.1%students in survey, is that the teachers will get guidance for improving the quality of their teaching.
11. According to teachers and students teaching, particularly, ‘classroom teaching’ is the most important aspects of teacher function to be included in SET.
12. The brainstorming program has enabled to provide additional inputs and ideas about SET.
13. The unwillingness, if any, on the part of teachers to undergo through SET is mainly because of their three concerns:a) The students may not evaluate teachers properly. b) The college administration may not take students’ evaluation of teacher in a right spirit.c) SET may be misused against the Teachers.
14. The major advantage of SET according to students and teachers are:a) The teachers will get guidance in improving the quality of their teaching.b) SET will develop in teachers an attitude towards quality teaching.c) SET would enable to know the areas in which a teacher’s performance is low. This would further facilitate the teachers and administration to take appropriate steps for improving quality of teacher’s work.d) SET would inculcate a spirit of commitment and dedication among teachers.e) Because of SET College administration would be more vigilant about the professional development of the teachers.
15. From the point of view of teachers the prominent limitations of SET are:a) SET will develop a feeling of superiority complex in some of the teachers; while a feeling of inferiority complex in some others.b) The College administration may not take this evaluation in the right spirit.c) The teachers would be more indulgent about the students.d) Students will take undue advantage of SET.
16. EVTG Scale has been found a valid and reliable measure of students’ evaluation of teaching performance of teacher in terms of the selected dimensions of the scale.The Study concludes that, if taken positively and constructively, SET may work as an instrument of Total Quality transformation.
Keyword(s): Evaluation, Teacher, Students